The holiday season is prime time for thieves looking for an easy opportunity to break into your home. While you’re enjoying the hustle and bustle of this festive period, a thief could be taking a leisurely stroll through your home in search of valuables. Keep your home safe and secure over the holidays with these five thoughtful tips.
- Alert the Neighbors – Let the neighbors you’re friendly with know about your travel plans and ask them to watch for any suspicious activity. Arrange for someone you trust to enter your home every couple of days to ensure everything’s running smoothly.
- Put the Post Office on Pause – Temporarily suspend mail and newspaper delivery services while you’re away. (Or ask a neighbor to collect them for you.) Nothing signals that a home is unoccupied like a week’s worth of newspapers at the doorstep.
- Keep Gifts Under Wraps – Don’t advertise what you’ve bought over the holiday season via social media, and ensure gifts and valuables aren’t visible from the street or at the trash. Many a holiday has been ruined by thieves making off with all the presents carefully chosen for friends and family.
- Secure All Entry Points – Ensure all doors and windows in your home have functioning locks that properly fasten. Be sure to remove any spare keys you may have hidden near your door.
- Install a Security System – A professional security system gives you peace of mind while you’re away. Modern systems often include remote video monitoring that allows you to check in on your home from wherever you are. This is also a feature home buyers really enjoy.